I know that some people think cover letters are not important. Well I’m here to tell you that they are. Writing a cover letter does not need to be a painful process. I will show you step by step how easy it can be so you will be able to write an excellent letter to send with your resume.
Three Simple Rules
Rule #1: You should have a cover letter attached to each resume you send out.
How well your cover letter is written can make the difference between you getting a job interview or having your resume ignored. So it’s probably a good idea to put in the time and write a convincing letter.
Rule #2: A cover letter should not duplicate your resume.
A cover letter is usually the first contact you have with an employer and its important to make a good impression. It should not be a duplicate of your resume, a common mistake I see time and time again. The purpose is to complement your resume while adding a personal touch.
Rule #3: Use the job description.
The job description is more useful than you think. It’s filled with keywords and phrases that recruiters want to see in cover letters and resumes. Using these keywords will help your cover letter stand out and it shows the recruiter that you are a serious candidate.
Breakdown of a Cover Letter:
- Explain why you are interested in the job and the organization
- Identify skills and experience that would be relevant to the position you are applying for
- Express a lot of interest and knowledge about the position
- Provide a few ways of how you can be contacted such as email, phone number, website, blog etc.
Writing an effective cover letter is not that hard but you do want to devote some time on it. You can download free resume templates and cover letter templates here. You can use these templates as a starting point when you are creating your own.
Once your finished writing your letter use this checklist to make sure you are not forgetting anything.
- You have included your name, address, home phone, cell phone, and email
- The letter is addressed to an individual, if possible
- The letter mentions the position you are applying for
- Make sure you mention a mutual contact at the company, if you have one
- Your cover letter focuses on the position you are applying for
- The letter is clear and well organized
- You have read your letter outloud and made sure there are no spelling mistakes
Now you can write an amazing cover letter and get the interview for the job you want or you can contact me and I can write one for you 🙂
Photo by: DeclanTM