Photo by: Pink Sherbet Photography
So many of us want to be more healthy in 2013. I know we might have said the same thing in 2011 and 2012 but this time we mean it. I’m getting married this year and if looking good in your wedding dress isn’t enough of an incentive than I don’t know what is.
Exercising more and eating better are great positive things to do to make you feel and look better and since we are at work for most of the day, it makes sense to start at our desks.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand. This sounds obvious but if you don’t replace those chocolate bars and skittles with trail mix, a piece of fruit or a handful of cut carrots then you will not see those pounds disappear. Not only do we need to replace our junk food but we need to remember to take it with us when we visit a friends desk because we all know how tempting a jar of jellybeans or homemade cookies are. Here are a few of my favourite snacks:
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Air popped or low fat popcorn
- Dry cereal with yogurt. Make sure the cereal is low in sugar and high in fibre.
- Healthy Trail Mix
- Peanut Butter stuffed Apples
- Portion control. Watch out and don’t eat all of your healthy snacks in one sitting. I know low-calorie oreos sounds like a good idea but it’s worthless if you end up eating the whole box. Make sure you measure out and pre pack small portions of snacks rather than bringing the whole container to work. I know it’s easier to bring the whole container to work but sometimes the temptation is too strong and you’re left with not only the stomach ache but the extra pounds too.
- Sit properly. Sitting properly can really help you “engage your core”. I really hate when fitness instructors say that but it’s true. Here are 5 reasons to engage your core. Speak to HR and get someone from Occupational Health and Safety to come in and do an ergonomics assessment on you.
Photo By: procsilas
- Eat more often. It makes sense to eat 5 smaller portions a day instead of just 3. Not only does it boost your metabolism but it will help you not crave that chocolate bar at 3pm. I don’t know about your office but from my experience it seems that everyone wants chocolate at 3pm.
- Drink water. I know grabbing another cup of coffee would be so much nicer but it’s amazing how much extra weight we put on thanks to our coffee, lattes, and English Toffee Cappuccino’s (my personal favorite from Tim Hortons). Instead of grabbing a coffee have a water bottle handy and bring it with you all the time. It’s amazing how much water you will drink when it’s right infront of you.
- Take the stairs. You will not lose those love handles by sitting infront of the computer screen all day. I received a Nike Fuel + Band from my fiance a few months ago and I love to make sure that I reach my goal every day. To get you moving more make sure you take the stairs, park further away from work, or take walks around your building during lunch. Not all of us have a gym at our workplace so make sure you just keep moving as much as you can.
- Clean your desk. Another way to keep healthy is to clean off all those germs from your phone and keyboard. It’s as easy as bringing in some Lysol Disinfecting Wipes to work. We all know that you can’t exercise when you’re sick in bed and if you want to fit into that dress (or whatever goal you have) you need to stay healthy.
- Get motivated. Set reminders for yourself at work to get up and walk around or to make sure you drink another cup of water. Sometimes when you think your hungry you’re actually thirsty. Another way to stay motivated is to have a motivation calendar or even sticky notes to remind you to stay on track.
At the End of the Day
You just need to keep moving. Just 30 minutes a day of some kind of exercise is a great start. When you lower your sugar, bad fat and calorie intake then you will see results. I’ve decided to start the INSANITY Workout. It’s not going to be easy but I feel motivated and throughout all the junk food from the house. I’ll keep you guys posted on my results. What have you done to stay on track and keep your New years resolution?